Sep 1, 2012

¨When you cast your vote for Mitt Romney and the GOP platform this November you are casting your vote for policies that assert that I am not equal to you.¨


¨From the words of my brother-in-law Adam Thompson¨

 Jody Kennell Thompson

¨When you cast your vote for Mitt Romney and the GOP platform this November you are casting your vote for policies that assert that I am not equal to you.

You are casting your vote for policies that would strip my sister and her partner of the right to parent my nieces.

You are casting your vote for policies that say what I have with my partner is not only disordered, but sinful.

You are casting your vote and saying to me and every other gay person in this country that we are not deserving of the same equality and liberty that you clearly take for granted.

So as you wake up this morning and look at your wife or husband, consider for a moment that this basic right; the right to declare your love and form the basic foundation of our culture – the family – is a right that currently I do not have.

So as you go to your job, consider for a moment that this basic right; the to work is a right I do not have and can be fired simply because I am gay.

You may be able to establish some cognitive dissonance from the issue and rationalize that this vote is about “jobs” – well I say to you, yes it is about jobs. Only this vote is more than about creating jobs, it is about my right to have one … period.

You may be able to establish some cognitive dissonance from the issue and rationalize that this vote is about the “economy” – well I say to you, yes it is about the economy. Only this vote is more than just the economy, it is about my right to enter into that economy with my partner and get all the benefits you and your spouse enjoy.

Your vote for the GOP candidate and their platform is saying to me that you care more about the money in your pocket than you do about my basic right to earn money for mine.

Your vote for the GOP candidate and their platform is saying to me that you care more about your ability to hold a gun than you do about my ability to hold my partner’s hand.

So yes, it offends me. But more than that it hurts me. Because for you, who will cast these votes in November, what you are saying to me is that I, as your family or your friend, mean so little to you that you can knowingly vote away what little rights I do have to simply coexist equally with you.

So for me this election is about liberty … my liberty.

So when you claim you are less free because of Obama … it offends me.

When you claim your vote is rationalized about your priorities of economic principles … it offends me.

That you would so easily cast a vote for a party who spent less time creating jobs and more time to ensure that I can never have one … it offends me.

So when I tell you that it offends me, do not be surprised, do not try to rationalize to me what choice you are making … you are choosing to say that I am not equal to you...¨ please read it all, LGBT Nation, Comments, Jody Kennell Thompson

And then of course, there are Romney's lies: From Slacktivist, commenting on Steve Benen's efforts to document Mitt's 533 lies in 30 weeks.

...This is unprecedented. “We’re not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers,” Romney’s pollster, Neil Newhouse, said.

This has produced what James Fallows calls the “post-truth” age — a relentlessly dishonest onslaught of brazen falsehoods with which the media and the political system are struggling to cope. What do you do when every article, every “fact-check,” every arbiter denounces a lie and corrects it, but then a politician just keeps repeating it?

It’s remarkable to behold.

One of the weirder aspects of this for me is watching this unfold in the politically conservative culture of my evangelical world. The most partisan evangelical conservatives are also those most likely to rant against “relativism” and to trumpet their status as defenders of “absolute truth.” Those same folks will dismiss this post — and all 30 of Benen’s posts above — as mere partisan attacks without ever bothering to examine the 533 factual instances of Mitt’s mendacity, chronicled.

That’s the only cognitive defense they have, I guess. Jam fingers in ears and shout la-la-la-you’re-being-partisan!

Republicans: they do make their own reality. And facts aren't part of it... HERE

·  Thanks to LGBT Nation, sidebar
·  Thanks to Jody Kennell Thompson
·  Thanks to Adam Thompson
·  Thanks to Friends of Jake, sidebar
·  Thanks to Steve Benen


No comments: