Jan 12, 2012

PLEASE MEET SUSAN ALLEN: Native American lesbian elected to Minnesota House

State Legislator-elect, Susan Allen, Minnesota
¨Last night Victory Fund-endorsed candidate Susan Allen won a special election for a seat in the Minnesota State House, making her the first openly lesbian Native American to be elected to a state legislature.

Allen will represent District 61B in south central Minneapolis, where almost half the children live in poverty. ”It reminds me of a lot of the places I grew up. It’s 62 percent minority,” Allen told Minnesota Public Radio.

Allen’s opponent in the special election, Nathan Blumenshine, lauded her in conceding defeat. ”Her personal story is a powerful one, and I can’t think of a stronger leader to serve as the voice of this community,” Blumenshine said...¨  please read it all, HERE

·  Thanks to Gay Politics, sidebar
·  Thanks to Nathan Blumenshine (a great sport)
·  Thanks to The People of Minneapolis, 61B

4 comments:

June Butler said...

Congratulations, Susan Allen. Thanks for taking note, Len.

JCF said...

...and she's pretty cute, too!

[JCF, ALWAYS going for the shallow ;-)]

June Butler said...

Yes, she is attractive. I was going to say the same.

Leonard said...

I think she´s adorable (I know, I know, but many males are adorable too). I called Juan Carlos (who is manly and adorable) and Violeta (in a motherly/nurturing sort of way) in to look at her picture on my computer so they could get an idea of what a Norte Americano indigneous person looked like--Juan Carlos can see the resemblance to the Maya´s in a distant sort of way--they both loved meeting her.