Oct 29, 2010

GAY UGANDA: ¨I strongly believe in a person´s right to define their faith¨


¨...I choose to think that religion doesnt define my humanity. And, I choose not to choose any of the labels. But they are very important to us as human beings.

Because I say that, some point at me and say this is an anti-Christian blog. (Uh, that was Ssempa, you guessed.)

But, I strongly believe in a person's right to define their faith. I will not proselytize my lack of faith. And, I will look on in bemusement if anyone tries to proselytize me. Might make for an interesting conversation.

And, I will also stand for the right of a gay African to have a faith life.
Some believe that since we are gay, we cant be Christian, or Muslim, or whatever religion. I think they err. And, though I am none of those, I believe that a gay Ugandan, a gay African is also a human being. They, and we have the same right to religion as all other human beings.
Yes, I might have a problem with the logics of reconciling the faiths. But then, why do we call them faiths? Because they are faiths.

Even when others use their faith to hit out at us, demonise us, call us anti-Christ, kaffirs, anti-God, etc, just because we have a different sexuality, I still stand and say that we are human beings. And, a gay human being can be a Christian. And, can be a Moslem.

Anglican Archbishop Orombi, ¨denies the humanity¨ of LGBTI Christians/others in Uganda
And, I may actually find the words to debate one who says I cant be a Christian (or Moslem) and gay at the same time. Because that person is denying my humanity. That is my convoluted thinking.

I would really love it if religious people would stop defining their religiousness with anti-gay rhetoric.

Anglican Ugandan Bishop Christopher Ssenyonjo, spiritual counselor to LGBTI Ugandans, featured speaker, the Center for Democratic Progress, Washington D.C. , 2010
I mean, in Uganda, Ssempa is the epitome of a Christian. Because of his anti-gay rhetoric, which is considered the very spirit and soul of Christianity. The Anglicans in Uganda.... well, it is all the same. That is why they excommunicated Bishop Ssenyonjo. He was not anti-gay enough. In fact, he was pro-gay.

I know. For the Catholics, it is the contraception thing, but the anti-gay thing also comes in.


Member of Parliament, Anglican David Bahati, author of the ¨Kill the Gay¨ Bill
Bahati... well. He says that it is his heartfelt wish to pass the 'Kill the Gay' bill. Make it law. Of course, for him it is defining something called the family, or traditional family. And, he still has hopes of it becoming law.

So, what is true religiousness? Why does my sexuality have to be used to define spirituality?
I have no answers for you. The only ones I have are for me, thank you.¨ read it all, Gay Uganda HERE

· Thanks to Gay Uganda, sidebar
· Thanks to Anglican Bishop Christopher Ssenyanjo, Uganda
· Thanks to Archbishop Desmond Tutu
· Thanks to Flickr Photosharing, Naked and Open
· Thanks to Allan Rich

No comments: