Jan 1, 2011

FRANK SCHAEFFER: ¨2011 will see the USA rebounding, the Democratic Party doing well in 2012, the country in boom times by 2013 and the President having a great second term.¨


¨Obama's Critics Owe Him a New Years (Fact-Based) Apology¨

¨The left of the left -- at least as represented by some of its commentators hovering around the Democratic Party -- has a choice: make a New Years' resolution to rejoin the reality-based community, or head for its own version of Tea Party la-la Land negativity.


Or put it this way: commentators like Paul Krugman owe President Obama an apology, an "I was wrong" about the economy, the direction of our country, the success of President Obama's methods of "compromise" (as opposed to their's of "bold" ideological intransigence...)


Why? Because 2011 will see the USA rebounding, the Democratic Party doing well in 2012, the country in boom times by 2013 and the President having a great second term.


I happen to be a white fifty-eight-year-old former Republican. I explain about why I left the far right movement my family helped found in my forthcoming book Sex, Mom and God: How the Bible's Strange Take on Sex Led to Crazy Politics--and How I Learned to Love Women (and Jesus) Anyway


President Obama is the first Democratic Party presidential candidate I ever voted for. I am hoping that others will join me in committing to a new level of support for our president.


We find ourselves in the position of survivors of a shipwreck clinging to a life raft. President Obama is that "life raft." Our young president is leading us at a time of extraordinary peril. He and we face overwhelming challenges including two wars and a financial crisis he had dumped into his lap by fools.


When we hear that jobless numbers are going down faster than expected, that shoppers spent money over the holidays, that economic forecasts are being revised upward and so on, it's time for a reassessment of the President's critic's claims of impending doom because of his many alleged "mistakes." (These include such "facts" as the accusations that Obama "sold out" to Wall Street, is "too ready to compromise" etc., etc.)

A reassessment should come from what might be called the Krugamites. They could do what Rachel Maddow did when she said "I was wrong" while speaking of how she'd given up hope that the President could pull out his year end list of remarkable victories.


Then again Maddow hasn't staked her reputation on our president's failure, as have people like Krugman, who has never warmed to our first black president...¨ read it all, HERE

· Thanks to President Barack Obama, at his website HERE
· Thanks to Frank Schaeffer, sidebar
· Thanks to The Huffington Post, sidebar

5 comments:

JCF said...

I'm a little bit leery of taking Schaeffer's POV.

In addition to being a shameless self-promoter (he didn't leave that aspect behind, when he left the Christian Right!), he also said Obama "would be the Greatest President of All-Time" right after his election! O_o

While I agree that Big Daddy Frank undoubtedly screwed him up, I'm far from convinced Son Frankie fully recovered!

Re Obama...Eh. I came to believe he had to take the Tax (Giveaway to the Rich!) Deal, but I'm not going to sing his praises about it... [DADT, START: about time!]

JCF said...

And 2013: Boom Times? Sure . . . in CHINA!

[Imagine a President 2x as good as Obama, 2016-2024. Then a President 2x as good as THAT, 2024-2032. Maybe by 2032, the US will LEGITIMATELY be in a REAL Boom, not a Rich Man's Boom. (And I'll be 70 then. Sigh.)]

Bonnie said...

Hi Leonardo and Juan Carlos--

Totally OT. Just want to wish you a new year filled with love, peace, joy and many blessings!

Leonard said...

BONNIE! I´m so happy you stopped in and thank you for the healthy wishes--we´re doing fine and all is well and I think of you always fondly (and sometimes with a smile on my face remembers your thoughts on the ABC--we´ve all caught up with you I think on that one--very perceptive of you).

Love to you and yours,
Leonardo and Juan Carlos

Bonnie said...

Hi Leonardo--I think of you most fondly too. Sorry to be such a slug in the communication department.

Very envious of the beautiful flowers blooming in Juan Carlos's picture at the top of the blog. It has been snow hell here in WNC and a whole lot of other places state side.

On the up side I received some really nice cards from some folks in Colorado Springs at Grace and they are thriving. Very nice!

Hugs to you both,
Bonnie