Apr 24, 2013

COUNTLESS PEOPLE ARE HARMED BY GAY REPARATIVE THERAPY: Parents, families, and loved ones are negatively impacted by the notion of reparative therapy...¨


Noted ex-gay activist John Paulk has apologized and recanted his earlier assertions that sexual orientation can be changed if you just love Jeebus enough
Paulk and his wife (also supposedly ex-gay) were featured on the cover of Time and are still regularly held up as the poster children for the movement. Paulk was busted leaving a 
john-paulk-catering.jpgDC gay bar in 2000 by former HRC staffer Wayne Besen and was forced out of the leadership of Exodus International shortly after.
For the better part of ten years, I was an advocate and spokesman for what's known as the "ex-gay movement," where we declared that sexual orientation could be changed through a close-knit relationship with God, intensive therapy and strong determination. At the time, I truly believed that it would happen. And while many things in my life did change as a Christian, my sexual orientation did not.
So in 2003, I left the public ministry and gave up my role as a spokesman for the "ex-gay movement." I began a new journey. In the decade since, my beliefs have changed. Today, I do not consider myself "ex-gay" and I no longer support or promote the movement. Please allow me to be clear: I do not believe that reparative therapy changes sexual orientation; in fact, it does great harm to many people.
I know that countless people were harmed by things I said and did in the past,
Parents, families, and their loved ones were negatively impacted by the notion of reparative therapy and the message of change. I am truly, truly sorry for the pain I have caused...¨
Thanks to Bilerico Project, sidebar
Thanks to Bil Browning

http://www.bilerico.com/2013/04/ex-ex-gay_poster_child_john_paulk_apologizes.php

1 comment:

Wade said...

But now Mr. P's in DC is a belly-dancing parlor. He can't go back there!