Jul 22, 2010

BLESSED BEYOND BELIEF: ¨My husband and I hosted Bishop Christopher Ssenyonjo, founder of Integrity UGANDA, on his recent visit to Sacramento...¨



Bishop Christopher Ssenyonjo, UGANDA, Integrity UGANDA Founder, honored and received in Sacramento, California -- by Dean Brian Baker, Bishop Barry Beisner, his wife, Rev. Anne Hallisey and Integrity, U.S.A., Vice President Albert Ogle.

¨There are times in our lives when we offer to do something because we believe in the cause, only to realize again that in the doing we are blessed beyond belief. Such was the time when my husband and I hosted Bishop Senyonjo and the Rev. Albert Ogle during the bishop's visit to Sacramento in May of this year as part of his tour on behalf of LGBT Ugandans.

Dean Brian Baker and Bishop V. Gene Robinson

Bishop Christopher was in Sacramento to meet up with Bishop Robinson, spend a day of lobbying at the Capitol in support of Gay Marriage, and then to appear at the EQCA Awards that evening as Bishop Robinson was again recognized for his work on behalf of the LGBT community. We were also lucky enough to have Bishop Christopher speak at Trinity Cathedral, Sacramento. The Bishop is such a man of strong faith that being in the same room with him makes you have hope, and stand just a little taller.

California State Capitol, Sacramento

I have to tell you of an incident that occurred on his last day in our home because it is just a small example of the dignity of the man. We were in the kitchen finishing breakfast and getting ready for the day when the Bishop asked permission to use my phone to call his wife as he had not heard her voice for several days, and I of course said yes. As I was doing the morning kitchen clean-up thing, he placed the call. While I don't understand Ugandan, I understood the tone completely, it was great love and joy in talking to his wife.

After a few minutes he said, "My wife wants to talk to you. Her name is Mary." When I took the phone and said hello, the first words out of her mouth were, "Thank you for taking care of my husband. I pray for his safety every day." My heart swelled and broke at the same time. Here was a couple who have sacrificed so very much for the sake of LGBT people, and she was thanking me for a simple offer of hospitality. They were thanking me, and yet I owe them so much for their courageous stand. Talk about being blessed!¨Steve Skiffington


Bishop Christopher's historic pilgrimage continues to be a blessing as we work together to reap the seeds sown by his witness to God's abundant, inclusive love. And Integrity is hard at work helping make that happen. You can be part of that work and witness by:


Renewing your Integrity membership today HERE -- or joining Integrity if you're not currently a member HERE

Forwarding this blog post to your friends and family and encouraging them to become Integrity members.

Keeping the work of Integrity and the witness of Bishop Christopher in your prayers as we all work together toward God's dream of a world free of homophobia and bigotry, where the whole human family is fully included and celebrated as beloved children of God. HERE

· Thanks to Integrity UGANDA
· Thanks to Integrity U.S.A.
· Thanks to The Rt. Reverend Christopher Ssenyonjo
· Thanks to The Very Reverend Brian Baker
· Thanks to The Reverend Anne Hallisey
· Thanks to Steve Skiffington, Integrity Coordinator, Sacramento
· Thanks to The Reverend Canon Albert Ogle, V.P. Integrity U.S.A.
· Thanks to The Rt. Reverend Barry Beisner, Bishop of The Episcopal Church diocese of Northern California

1 comment:

motheramelia said...

Anne Hallisey and Barry Beisner are good people. Thank God for the work of Bp. Ssenyonjo. Integrity's work is sooo needed.

BTW I like your new sidebars.