Aug 19, 2013

¨MY LOVE¨ -- MUST READ - AMONGST MY MOST POPULAR POSTS: ¨Priests can´t defeat him with venomous rhetoric...¨ by Musa Okwonga

Musa Okwonga is an acclaimed poet, football writer, musician and promoter. A scholarship student at Eton College
Following the murder David Kato, Ugandan poet Musa Okwonga dedicated his poem "My Love" to David Kato and Eudy Simelane. LGBTI Activist David Kato was murdered in his home in Uganda in January and lesbian football player Eudy Simelane was gang-raped, beaten and stabbed to death in South Africa in 2008. Musa Okwonga has now turned "My Love" into a multimedia project.

My Love 

To some people

My love is somewhat alien;

When he comes up, they start subject-changing, and

In some states he’s seen as some contagion -

In those zones, he stays subterranean;

Some love my love; they run parades for him:

Liberal citizens lead the way for him…

But the same time as these people are embracing him,

Whole faiths and nations seem ashamed of him:

They’ve tried banning him,

God-damning him,

Toe-tagging him,

Praying that he stayed in the cabinet,

But my love kicked in the panelling and ran for it -

He’s my love! Can’t be trapping him in labyrinths! -

Maverick, my love is; he thwarts challenges;

The cleverest geneticists can’t fathom him,

Priests can’t defeat him with venomous rhetoric;

They’d better quit; my love’s too competitive…

He’s still here, despite the Taliban, the Vatican,

And rap, ragga in their anger and arrogance,

Who call on my love with lit matches and paraffin -

Despite the fistfights and midnight batterings,

My love’s still here and fiercely battling,

My love’s still here and fiercely battling;

Because my love comes through anything –

My love comes through anything.  HERE


*David KatoAnglican LGBT Activist, bludgeoned to death in Uganda, 2011, RIP
Lesbian football player Eudy Simelane was gang-raped, beaten and stabbed to death in South Africa in 2008, RIP


No comments: