Oct 17, 2011

PLEASE MEET TAIGA ISHIKAWA: Taiga has been elected Japan’s first openly gay politician!

Taiga Ishikawa
TOKYO - Taiga Ishikawa, the first openly gay politician in Japan to win an election, Tuesday hailed the result as a victory for the rights of sexual minorities.

"I hope my election victory will help our fellows nationwide to have hope for tomorrow, as many of them cannot accept themselves, feel lonely and isolated and even commit suicide," he told AFP.

Ishikawa, 36, won a seat in a Tokyo ward assembly in local elections on Sunday. Prior to his victory, no openly homosexual politician had won office in Japan.

He said he hoped his victory would help lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

"Many LGBTs, or sexual minorities, realise the fact when they are at elementary and junior high schools, many of which are operated by the municipality," Ishikawa said.

"As a ward assembly member, I would like to reinforce support to LGBT children at schools." HERE

·  Thanks to Taiga Ishikawa
·  Thanks to The Citizens of Tokyo, Japan
·  Thanks to  6 Theory, HERE

3 comments:

June Butler said...

What good news! He's so good-looking, which doesn't hurt. ;-) Thanks for keeping us informed, Len.

Leonard said...

Yes, he´s quite the nice looking fellow...I love the Japanese...I spent almost a decade working five months out of every year in the Far East (and Japan mostly) and I came to really appreciate them...sooo polite (appearances are everything) and often sooo talented too.

Once I went to a Gay Bar in Tokyo...it was small, dark and very quiet...I´m certain the Gay folk have lived up since my visiting days in the 80´s!

Leonard said...

I also went to the Episcopal Church (maybe it was Anglican) in Tokyo (they had English speaking 12 Step meetings there)...lovely church, foreigners mostly (like me).